116th Congressional District Changes
December 11, 2018
December 11, 2018
116th Congressional Districts vs. 115th Congressional Districts
The 115th United States Congress is in its last month. The new 116th Congress will be in session starting January 1/3/2019. The only change in congressional districts is in the state of Pennsylvania.
Congressional districts changes in Pennsylvania
On February 19, 2018, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court released a new congressional map, to take effect for the May 15, 2018, primaries. The districts in the Court’s map were significantly more compact, and its map split fewer municipalities and counties than the prior Republican-drawn map. Click here to learn more. This new congressional map will be used for 116th congress for the state of Pennsylvania.
We recently did a project for a customer to match the 5 digit zip codes in the state of Pennsylvania to their new 116th congressional districts. We learned that among 2140 zip codes, only 50 zip codes in the following congressional districts have the same congressional districts as before. The rest of PA’s zip codes are now in different congressional districts.
- 16 zip codes in congressional district 18
- 32 zip codes in congressional district 6
- 2 zip codes in congressional district 2
You can see it’s essential to refresh your address file for the 116th congressional district for the state of PA. For those who do the annual refresh, the district data is available now. The newly elected Congress members will be in place near or on January 03, 2019. By mid February 2019, our database should be updated with the new committee assignments made in January.
What Can We Do To Update Your Data for 116th Congressional Districts
- Provide the data via batch processing, available now! All you need to do is to send us the address file with the street address and 5 digit zip codes in csv or excel, we will batch process the entire file by geocoding each address, identifying its 116th congressional districts, appending the district name for each address and sending the result file back to you.
- Starting January 3, 2019, we will be providing the real time 116th congressional districts via USgeocoder API by default. If you need the information earlier via API, we can also make it happen for you.
- Our batch service and API service provide the congressional district data by address, which is more accurate than the zip code-based matching for congressional districts. However if you are looking for zip5-to-116th congressional district and zip9-to-116th congressional district data files, we can also provide them.